Sonday System 2 – How to Correct Spelling Errors in Step 2 - Spell Sounds
- During Step 2 - Spell Sounds, check the students' answers for each sound.
- As soon as you see an error, stop dictating sounds. Don’t say, “I see a mistake,” or call out the student who makes the error.
- Write the incorrect spelling on paper or a whiteboard and show it to your students. For example, if you asked for the spelling of the /ar/ sound, but a student wrote "r," you would say, “I see an "r,", which makes the sound /r/. I wanted the /ar/ sound.”
- Cross out the incorrect spelling (in this case, "r") and have everyone say the correct sound (in this example, /ar/).
- If teaching multiple students, ask a student who got it correct what they wrote. If only teaching one student or no student got the sound correct, ask what makes the /ar/ sound.
- Once the correct answer is given, cross out the incorrect spelling and write the correct one (in this example, "ar").
- Tell the students that if they made a mistake, they should cross it out and write the correct spelling. Now all students should write and say the sound again two more times.